Being pulled over for drunk driving is a scary and potentially life-altering event. A Driving Under the Influence (DUI) charge in Georgia comes with serious consequences and penalties. If charged, you face jail time, community service and costly fines, could lose your driver’s license and could suffer damage to your personal and professional reputations.
If you are facing DUI charges, you probably have a lot of questions including whether your charges could be reduced or dismissed. A skilled defense attorney can utilize defense strategies to raise doubts about your arrest and challenge your charges in court. Each case is different, but the charges against you could be reduced or dropped altogether.
Integrity of the evidence
In a court of law, an attorney can challenge the issues related to your arrest:
- Was there probable cause when you were pulled over?
- Were the proper procedures followed in your arrest such as your Miranda rights read?
- Was the Field Sobriety Test administered correctly and if you failed it, was there another reason, such as physical impairment?
- Was the Breathalyzer test properly administered? Was the device calibrated correctly?
- Was your blood test properly administered and stored? Could a sample have been tampered with and can the arresting officer testify as to how the sample was collected and stored?
Even when the evidence says otherwise, a defense attorney can work with you regarding the specifics of your case and help you to mount a credible defense.